In this lesson, we will discuss how to enable promotional pricing to automatically discount your products and services. With ManageMore, it’s easy to create sale prices, from simple percentage and flat discounts, special price, buy one get one free (BOGO), buy multiple items for a special price (e.g. 3 for $1), mix and match promotions, and more. These promotions can be set up ahead of the sale, and automatically take effect for a certain time frame. Just ring up the items on invoices or at the point of sale, and prices will automatically be adjusted.
Step 1 – Create a Promotional Pricing Plan
To create a new promotion, select Lists … Inventory … Discounts … Promotional Pricing. Then, click on the New Promotion (Insert) button at the top of the list. You will be presented with the Adding a Promotional Discount screen.
First, provide a Promo Plan Id. This identifying value will be assigned to items that are part of this promotion. We recommend creating a code that is easy to remember without spaces or special characters.
Next, give your promotion a Description. This is for internal use only and serves as a reminder as to the nature of this sale pricing. Then, select the Price Level to which this promotion applies. By default the promotion will apply to all price levels, but you may decide to apply to a certain price level instead.
Select a Promo Period to determine when the promotion will apply. You can choose to apply the promotion for a certain Date Range and set the starting and ending dates. Or, choose to apply the promotion on Specific Days of the week. Specific Days promotions have no end date.
Step 2 – Set the Pricing Method for your Promotion
On the second tab of the promotional pricing screen, you will determine the method used to calculate your discount.
Choose from one of the following options:
The first five methods apply to Individually Discounted Items. These methods apply to one SKU item at a time, regardless of how many items are assigned the same promotion code. Each SKU Item will be considered separately.
- At % Off – This method subtracts a fixed percent off the normal price. Enter the percent discount in the field provided.
- At $ Off – This method subtracts a fixed amount off the normal price. Enter the amount of the discount in the field provided.
- At Fixed $ of – This method sets a fixed sale price. Enter the sale price in the field provided.
- Buy #, For $, Get Free, Limit Of – This method allows you to sell one or more items, and get more free. This can be used for Buy One, Get One Free (BOGO), Buy 2 Get One Free, etc. Enter the number to be sold in the first quantity field. If the items are to be sold at regular price, leave the price at 0.00, or enter the total amount for all items to be sold (unit price will be shown to the right). Enter the amount to be given free, and, if applicable, enter the maximum number of free items that will be given for free on each sale.
- Buy #, At $ Each, Get More, At % Off, Limit Of – This method allows you to sell one or more items at a set price, then get more at a percent discount. Enter the number to be sold in the first quantity field. If the items are to be sold at regular price, leave the price at 0.00, or enter the unit price for each of the items to be sold. Enter the quantity of items that will be discounted, and the percent discount. If applicable, enter the maximum number of items that will be discounted on each sale.
The other methods apply to Items Discounted as a Group. These methods consider all items that are assigned this same promotion code.
- Buy Any, Get More, At $ Each – This method allows you to sell a certain quantity of items at regular price, then discount more at a certain amount discount. Enter the quantity to be sold at regular price. Then enter the quantity to be discounted, and the discount amount.
- Buy Any Get More, At % Off – This method allows you to sell a certain quantity of items at regular price, then discount more at a certain percent discount. Enter the quantity to be sold at regular price. Then enter the quantity to be discounted, and the discount percentage.
- Mix and Match – This method allows you to sell different items that are assigned this promotion code all at a set price.
Mix and Match Options
- Standard Method – This method set the price for a group of items. Enter the quantity that qualifies and the set unit price for that quantity. Each group of that number will allow the promotional pricing to be given.
- Price Break Method – This method allows a larger discount if more of the items are purchased together. Select whether the discount will be based on an amount discount or percentage discount. Then enter the minimum quantity for each discount level, and the appropriate discount for that level. On the top level discount, you can leave the quantity blank.
On the last tab, enter any internal notes about this promotion.
Step 3 – Assign Items to the Promotional Pricing
The next step is to assign the promo plan id to the items that will be part of the promotion. This can be done in one of three ways, depending upon your needs.
- Option 1 – Direct Assignment. If you have ony one or two items to assign, the easiest way is to go to the Supertrack Inventory, by selecting Lists … Inventory … Supertrack Inventory List from the main menu. Highlight the item code, and double-click or click the edit button. Then, select the Pricing tab. Enter or select the Promotion Plan Id in the field provided.
- Option 2 – Global Price Change Screen. If the items that are to be assigned are all in a certain Category, Department, Manufacturer, or Season, you can use the Global Price Change feature to assign the code. Select Activities … Inventory … Global Price Change from the main menu. On the first step, select the option to “Apply price changes by adding a special promotion to one or more items.” On the second step, choose the promo plan to apply. On the next step, set the criteria for applying the promotion. Next, confirm the items to be assigned. You can delete items from the process on this step. Finally, click the Finish button to assign the promotion.
- Option 3 – Inventory Explorer Screen. If there are many items to apply that are somewhat random, you can use the Inventory Explorer to assign the promotion. Select Activities … Inventory … Inventory Explorer from the main menu. Select Promotion from the property drop list on the upper left side of the screen. Click on the items to be assigned (you can click many items). Then drag the items selected to the folder that represents the promotion to be assigned. For more information on using this screen, see the learning center article, “How to Use the Inventory Explorer“